You could give great haircuts, be a color master, or a wizard with your flat iron. But if you don’t have great customer service, your salon and your bottom line could be suffering. However, simple touches can add to your salon customer service to keep clients coming back to your chair!
Before the Appointment
- Your clients are busy people, just like you! Make sure your salon’s receptionist calls the client a couple days ahead to remind them of the appointment. The reminder call has multiple benefits for the client and for you! It reminds them of the appointment, meaning they are more likely to be there. Also, if the client has to cancel, you have time to fill the time slot!
- The reception and waiting area should be inviting. Adequate seating is a must, because nothing is worse than standing awkwardly in a small space. Leave a few updated magazines out for the client to look through while they wait.
- Offer the client a complimentary drink. Coffee, tea, or water are very easy to keep on hand, or even wine depending on your state’s liquor laws.
- Consultations are the heart of any hair service. It may seem simple, but ask your client what their hair goals are. This helps you to determine what steps you need to take, and it uncovers the client’s expectations of your service.
During the Appointment
- Salon services should be relaxing for the client. While it’s important to have an open communication, some clients don’t always want to chat the entire time. Have salon customer wi-fi, so they can scroll through Instagram without eating up all their data. Post a sign that shows the wi-fi password near reception for convenience.
- The focus of your communication should be on the client. Obviously, ask about the status of the hair, but you also ask about kids, significant others, their hobbies or what they’re binging on Netflix or reading on the beach.
- New hairstyles or cuts can be tricky to learn for clients. That’s why it’s important to show clients how to style their hair at home. A quick tutorial will help the client feel more comfortable and it will make them trust you as a stylist. (It’s also a great way to sell more retail products!)
- Ask to share their hair transformation on Instagram or Facebook. Sharing on social is good for you and the client! The client gets to show off their new hairstyle, and you get to show off your work. If you share to your own social media account (and you should!), be sure to tag the client. It shows you appreciate them and their business. You can also ask if they want a picture to post on their Instagram or Facebook. Nothing drives in more clients like a solid testimonial!
After the Appointment
- Ask the client if they would like to rebook. It’s so simple, and can be the first step in a client-stylist relationship. Rebooking also encourages clients to get a good time that is ideal for them!
- If the client rebooks, give them a reminder card for their next appointment. Your contact info should be listed on the card, in case the appointment needs to be moved or if the client decides to give out your salon as a referral!
- Send a follow-up email a day or so after the appointment thanking the client for choosing you as their stylist. Send a link in the email to your Google My Business page, so the client can leave you a review. Asking for a review demonstrates to the client that you care about your salon customer service.
Excellent salon customer service will keep your customers coming back and feel comfortable with you as a stylist. Simple touches encourage loyalty and make clients want to come back!